Hardwood is undeniably one of the most popular flooring choices. From beautifying your home to improving its market value, hardwood flooring has a lot to offer.
While it’s highly durable and can withstand an immense amount of pressure, hardwood flooring requires proper care to keep it beautiful and lustrous. Though occasional refinishing can make it shine like new, it’s expensive and you’re removing a layer of wood each time. With frequent refinishing, your hardwood floor will lose its beauty and may even need to be replaced. Hence, it’s important to be cautious and follow certain guidelines when using and cleaning it.
Caring for Your Hardwood Flooring – Dos and Don’ts
Here we list some important hardwood flooring dos and don’ts to keep it beautiful and protected.
- Add felt floor protectors to the bottom of furniture, especially chairs and stools. These will help avoid scratches and scrapes from regular usage.
- Use mats by entrances. These act as barriers between the floor and any dirt you might be carrying in.
- Sweep regularly to keep abrasive elements like dirt, rocks and debris off your floor. This will reduce the chances of scratches.
- Keep your pets’ nails trimmed and their paws clean as both are threats to hardwood’s shine and lustre.
- Wipe up any spills immediately to prevent them from settling into your floor and causing stains. Start at the edges of the spill and slowly work toward the center.
- Use only soft, gentle cleaning tools like a broom or dust mop with rounded tips. This will limit the chances of scratches.
- Maintain a constant room temperature to avoid warping and cupping.
- Use curtains and draperies to prevent discolouration caused by harmful solar rays.
- Remove tough materials like wax or chewing gum by placing ice on it until it hardens the substance. Then scrape off gently.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s care & maintenance guide. Save their contact details for future reference.
- Avoid using waxes, oil soaps or furniture polishes. These will trap dust and dirt on your floor rather than keeping them away.
- Never use vinegar or ammonia-based cleaning products, as they’re abrasive and will tarnish the finishing of the hardwood planks.
- Don’t leave damp rugs or towels on your floor. If there’s a spill on a mat or rug that covers your hardwood flooring, remove it immediately and let it dry outside.
- Avoid walking with high heels or spiked sports shoes. Their sharp edges and points can cause scratches and dents that aren’t easy to fix.
- Never use feather dusters or even vacuum cleaners with beater bars as they can damage the finish and cause dents. Use only vacuum cleaners with special hardwood floor attachments.
- Never use steel wool to get rid of stubborn stains. Hardwood floors aren’t scratch-resistant and coarse materials like steel wool will damage them.
Knowing how to maintain your hardwood flooring can go a long way towards increasing its longevity. Follow these simple dos and don’ts to enjoy years of flawless, functional hardwood floors.