Hardwood floors are a beautiful addition to any home, but they don’t come easy. Merely installing them in your home is not enough. Proper care and maintenance is needed to make your floors continue to like new for years to come. Many homeowners don’t realize what’s needed for good upkeep. In the absence of proper cleanliness and care, the floors will get damaged and become rough.
If you want to maintain the gleaming shine and beauty of your hardwood floors, then follow these dos and don’ts.
- Use a microfiber cloth for cleaning the debris from the floor
- Wipe the spills or moisture as soon as possible with a soft and dry cloth to avoid stains
- Cover the windows with drapes and blinds to avoid excess exposure to sunlight that causes floor discolouration
- Cover the legs of your furniture with felt pads to avoid scratches
- Place rugs or protective mats at areas with heavy traffic to protect the hardwood from damage
- Sweep the floors regularly with a soft mop or broom
- Trim your pets’ nails and clean their paws; their nails and paws are a threat to the shine and flawless beauty of your hardwood floors
- Maintain the room temperature to reduce shrinkage of your hardwood floors by using an air conditioner in the summer and a humidifier in the winter
- To remove tough materials such as chewing gum or wax, place ice on it to harden the substance and then scrape it off carefully
- Don’t use any floor cleaners other than the one recommended by the manufacturer
- Don’t clean your hardwood flooring with water or a wet cloth
- Don’t steam clean your hardwood floors
- Never use furniture polishes, waxes or oils soaps, it will only hold dirt and give a dull look to your floors
- Don’t use vinegar or ammonia-based cleaning products, they can break down or damage the finishing of the planks
- Don’t walk on the floor while wearing high heeled or spiked shoes, this will create scratches
- Don’t apply wax to the urethane finished floors
- Don’t use vacuum cleaners with beater bars, they can cause dent on the surface and damage the finish
- Don’t leave damp or wet rugs on the floors for a longer period
Maintain the beauty and shine of your hardwood floors by following these dos’ and don’ts. Being a bit vigilant and making an effort to maintain your floors will help you in the long run.
For more information on hardwood floors contact Amazon Hardwood.