Being the most intimate space of a home, bedrooms deserve much thought and planning when being decorated so that it transforms into a space that’s welcoming. Hence, the furniture, flooring and accessories all must be considered as a whole while designing the interior.
The warmth and classic beauty of hardwood make it an ideal choice for almost every room in the house. Particularly in the bedroom, its warm texture imparts a soothing ambience when complemented with the right décor and lighting.Being the most intimate space of a home, bedrooms deserve much thought and planning when being decorated so that it transforms into a space that’s welcoming. Hence, the furniture, flooring and accessories all must be considered as a whole while designing the interior. The warmth and classic beauty of hardwood make it an ideal choice for almost every room in the house. Particularly in the bedroom, its warm texture imparts a soothing ambience when complemented with the right décor and lighting.
In this post, our flooring experts share some tips which will help you to bring out the best in your bedroom with hardwood flooring.
Benefits of hardwood in the bedroom
Hardwood is versatile enough and suitable for almost any part of the house. However, in the bedroom, there are certain added benefits that make it a preferred choice.
● It increases the saleability of the house when you have hardwood flooring in the more private rooms and not just the living area.
● The inherent beauty is an instant face-lift for the room which cannot be achieved with any other flooring as gracefully.
● It is long-lasting and can be refinished numerous times, meaning it saves you the trouble of undertaking a flooring project every few years would involve moving the furniture.
● Hardwood does not trap dust or allergens making it safer for those suffering from asthma and allergies. It also does not emit VOC, which can be harmful to homeowners with breathing issues.
Creating a lavish bedroom becomes easier when you are well acquainted with the benefits of hardwood flooring. Read on to find out the simple tricks to maximize these benefits while creating an eye-catching interior.
1. Soften the ambience with rugs
Wooden floors lack the softness of carpeting and depending on the texture, stain and graining of the chosen wood species, the overall look can be rather stark. However, a complementing area rug balances the stark look with its elegance. Not only that, but it also protects the floor from getting scratched under furniture, pet claws or feet. Lastly, it is more comfortable to walk on and muffles your footsteps. Using the area rug lets you enjoy the best of both worlds- the beauty of hardwood and the comfort of carpet while creating a cozy atmosphere in the bedroom.
2. Matching floor and furniture
Wood furniture are always a favourite for their durability and timeless appeal. But working out wood furniture with wood flooring can be rather tricky. While many homeowners feel matching the furniture with the flooring is a safe choice, the result is too monotonous and the charm will be lost. An alternative to creating visual depth without going overboard is choosing different finishes that will make each piece pop against the flooring. Choosing different finishes and creating an artistic cluster will impart an eclectic feel to your bedroom. The key is to bring dimension to your décor such that the room has a character.
3. Have a coherent décor theme
Whether you choose a country-style décor or a contemporary design- the overall look should be well-balanced. Some ideas that you can employ depending on the flooring style and texture you have are as follows:
● Consider designing a country-themed bedroom if you have a distressed hardwood floor. Wider wood planks have a vintage appeal that will work well for a country style décor. Use antique furniture and colourful area rugs to further authenticate the décor theme. Accent furniture like a rocking chair or a side table will complete the look while adding to the comfort of the room.
● A hardwood floor with a glossy finish or antiqued white is a perfect complement to a cottage style décor. A vintage iron bed painted in a sober pastel tone will be the dominating furniture of the room. Balance the look by painting the walls in the same hue as the bed.
● For a more contemporary style bedroom, leave the floor bare and uncluttered. Choose a high gloss finish in a deep colour like chocolate. A sleek platform bed dressed in dark sheets complementing the flooring and a pop of colour on the pillow covers, together create a very clean and sophisticated contemporary style décor theme for the room.
4. Reflecting surfaces and light sources
When you have darker hardwood flooring, this is an important factor you must consider. To make the room appear spacious and airy, there should be sufficient light flow within the room. Clever implementation of light-coloured furniture will do the trick. Use reflective surfaces like a mirror to brighten up the room further. Ensure light from a natural source can flow uninterrupted into the room sufficiently which will further help with illuminating the room.
Walls painted in white or light colours, contrasting area rugs and well-placed light sources will ensure the beauty of the flooring is magnified.
5. Make the most of its versatility
Wood species lacking obvious yellow or red undertones have a neutral look which is versatile and hence complements a wide variety of furniture and accessories. This allows you the flexibility to try out any upholstery, colour, material and designs you want to incorporate in your bedroom. In the bedroom, such a neutral tone of wood lets you try out a wide variety of duvet covers, bed sheets and pillowcases which have a bold print that may not have fit into any décor theme, universally.Hardwood is a flooring type that resonates durability and a timeless appeal, making it a preferred choice among the homeowners in Toronto. Hardwood flooring for the bedroom is a wise choice to create the perfect ambience. But the ambience depends on the overall approach you have to the interior décor. Keeping in mind the above-mentioned suggestions will ensure that you create a lavish bedroom.